NEXT MEETING: March 29, 2019
County Supervisor John Gioia
Supervisor John Gioia is presently Chair of the Contra Costa Board of Supervisors. First elected in 1998, John has been overwhelmingly re-elected five times. He’ll provide updates on issues he’s working on, to include Air Monitoring AB615, children and youth policies, illegal dumping, North Richmond, Housing, Homeless Services, Health Services and more.
- Incoming Prez Jan Brown provided the Club with an update on our Centennial Project. The Board held a plebiscite (n. a direct vote of all the members of an electorate on an important public question…yeah, I had to look it up!) vote and decided on a project at the new Mira Flores Development in Richmond. If you want details you can check with Jan and Josh Genser, but short take is that it has a number of ties to our Club (ie. past Prez David Ninomiya) and we will be doing signage and planting…this sounds like a great project.
- Darlene Drapkin reminded all about Chavez Service Day tree planting along 23rd Street on 3/30 from 10am-2pm. Meet at Portumex on 23rd Street
- Jan Brown also passed out Rotary Calendar of Events.
MEETING OF March 22, 2019
On a soggy Friday, Prez Jerry called the meeting to order with Norm Lundberg leading us in the Pledge, Herb Cole offered a moment for peace, freedom and justice. Sid Chauvin offered: “It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.”
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
Prez Jerry’s guest was Frances Smith; visiting Rotarian Grier Graff has as his guest Mariana Day visiting from Mexico; Mac Lingo was visiting from Berkeley; and Cecilia Orozco brought her daughter Ruby.
Recognitions and Happy and Sad Dollars
- PP Alan Blavins just celebrated three fourths of a century of life with a visit to his dentist and foot doctor. Happy Birthday Alan!
- Nick Despota had Happy $ for the Climate Change cover of the Rotarian Magazine and that Eric was our speaker today.
- Jim Findley was happy for a string of family birthdays from 3/11-4/1.
- Norm Lundberg was happy to see his friend from Mexico Maiana.
- Alan Baer was sad about the anniversary of his dad’s passing, but happy his Aunt turned 98 and his son turned 16.
- Henry Moe (great to see you at the Club!) was happy that his son will be going to Camp Royale with his sponsorship coming from our friend Neville’s San Ramon Rotary Club.
- Sid Chauvin’s mother would have been 120 and he was very excited that his first great granddaughter is expected in July.
The Data Behind the Climate Crisis
Mark Howe introduced out speaker Scientist Eric Arens, a member of Citizen’s Climate Lobby, who presented information regarding climate change that is happening right now and not sometime in the future. Eric presented a number of graphs and data indicating that there is spike in heat waves, number of extremely hot weather days, and that the Poles are heating up with tundra’s melting and producing more methane. This is all due to the abundance of CO2 in the atmosphere. If you would like to see Eric’s complete presentation. Click on the link below:
The Menehune Rotating Editor