NEXT MEETING: October 11, 2019
Note: On Friday we will meet at the Blue Apron facility. See below.
Blue Apron is an ingredient-and-recipe meal kit service. Their weekly boxes contain ingredients and also include suggested recipes that are cooked by hand by the customer using the pre-ordered ingredients.
Jeremy Adelson of the Richmond Packaging facility will share Blue Apron’s story and give us a tasty tour. (See Announcements, below, for location.)
- This Friday we will meet at the Blue Apron Distribution Center, 3151 Regatta Blvd, Richmond. (Directions ) The facility is located in a large warehouse. Please RSVP by Thursday morning. Each RSVP will be given directions and a personal guide if needed!
- Richmond Rotary BBQ Fundraiser for the Bahamas Sat. Oct. 12 2pm. Please RSVP to Alan & Santa Baer.
- We’re trying something new. Because many members cannot make our Friday lunchtime meetings, we will enjoy a friendly social gathering on the evening of the third Tuesday of each month. Dubbed Rotary Lite, our first meeting will occur on Oct. 15, from 6PM – 7:30PM. at El Agave Azul, 12955 San Pablo Ave., Richmond (Directions).
- The Alzheimer Walk Rotary Team BARSHEEP takes place on Nov. 9 Support the team!
- Those of you interested in Richmond history may enjoy attending a talk and movie, Flora Ninomiya / Blossoms & Thorns. The event takes place at the Richmond Country Club on October 18. Invite a friend.
- Mark Howe may have 2 places on his sailboat next weekend for an excursion into the Bay to watch the Navy’s Blue Angels aerobatic team. Contact Mark if you’re interested.
MEETING OF October 4, 2019
Prez Jan opened the meeting, Mike Winter lead the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Cole asked for a moment of silence for peace, justice and freedom on Earth.
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
Visiting Rotarian Governor Elect Mark Roberts was in attendance. Brian Fay brought his dad Gerald Fay. Hank Covell brought his wife Doreen, who is also a Visiting Rotarian from Pinole. Also visiting were Deborah Bryer and Beryl Golden.
We were informed and entertained by three “Who am I?” presentations: Carey Hawkins Ash, Fran Smith and Brian Fay regaled us with the stories of their lives and the paths that led them to Rotary. We are pleased to welcome these members to our club.
Recognitions and Happy/Sad Dollars
- Fran had Happy Dollars that last week she had not suffered a stroke. The double vision she experienced last week turned out to be the results of dehydration, she learned at a doctor’s visits. “Drink lots of water,” she advises
- David Brown had Happy Dollars for our three new members.
- A trip to the movies prompted Hank Covell to offer up a few Sad Dollars. “Six dollars for a bag of popcorn!” He recalled when he first started dating Doreen that popcorn was ten cents a bag. Lesson here, Hank: BYOB.
- Jim Findley had many Happy Dollars for the the cluster of birthdays his family is celebrating right now.
Redevelopment and Brownfields
Ignacio Dayrit, Director of Programs at the Center for Creative Land Recycling, and formerly with the City of Emeryville, discussed redevelopment efforts in the East Bay, and how these programs bring affordable housing and inclusive economic development.
- Henry Moe, “Rotating Editor”