NEXT MEETING: August 16, 2019
Project Second Chance
Project Second Chance is the Contra Costa County library’s adult literacy program. We help adults (17+) with very basic reading, writing, and spelling. We’ll learn about the scope of the problem and the unique services that PSC offers to help these adults who are hard to reach other than by word-of-mouth. You’ll also learn how service-minded members of the community can help by volunteering with the program.
• Erle Brown announced our annual collection to benefit 31 classroom teachers of Peres Elementary School by the time school starts in September. 31 Rotarian are needed to give $100 each.
• Save-the-date: Richmond Rotary hosts a TGIF on Friday, August 30 at Riggers Loft. Richmond. BARSHEEP members and their guests are welcome!
• Tamara Shiloh announced a National Book-Lover-Day event at the Multi-Cultural Bookstore; this Saturday, the Multi-Cultural Bookstore is sponsoring the Food Bank benefit.
• Norm Lundberg, our International Chair, commended the work of the WASH program in Honduras (last week’s speaker) with a gracious offer of support. Anyone who would like to contribute should designate their donation to the WASH Honduras grant.
• The Centennial Planning Committee invites those who would like to lend a hand in preparing a historic video for showing at our Centennial Dinner to contact Stacey Street.
MEETING OF August 9, 2019
President Jan Brown opened the meeting with Tamara Shiloh leading us in the pledge, Jim Findley leading the invocation and Alan Blavins providing a thought for the day.
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
Ken Lindgren (Darlene’s husband) and Diego Garcia (owner of Leftside Printing in Richmond) were the guests of Darlene Drapkin.
Cheryl Maier was the guest of her husband, Bob Dabney.
Also visiting us today was Carey Hawkins Ash, from the Making Waves Academy
Today’s Speaker(s) on Richmond’s Homeless Crisis: Tom Herriman of SOS (Safe Organized Spaces), introduced himself as the founding Rotarian of a Seattle club chapter. Joining him were Daniel Barth and Christina Redse.
Cecilia Orozco earned her blue badge of membership! Mike Winter, Cecilia’s sponsor, did the honors of the presentation. Congratulations Cecilia!
Recognitions and Happy and Sad Dollars
- Mike Winter and wife Cindy celebrated 59 years of wedded bliss this week . . . awesome!
- Sid Chauvin would like to set the Flywheel record straight: Willow Mae Chauvin is his first Great Granddaughter, with an emphasis on the great!
- Erle Brown is looking forward to taking some time off in a week that will include a visit with Jon Lawlis and Darlene Quenville in St.-Anicet, Quebec, Canada.
- Bob Dabney had happy dollars in anticipation of his and Cheryl’s wedding anniversary next week. There was some debate over whether it will be 37 or 27 years. Either way, congratulations!
- Bob Connolly had happy dollars for his soon-to-be two-years-old granddaugthter
- Jim Findley had sad dollars remembering the tragic bombing of Nagasaki 74 years ago, hoping that such nuclear devastation will never happen again.
- Darlene Drapken is heading to Northern Spain next week to walk the final 100K of the Camino!
- Simon Ellis had both sad and happy dollars: sad that a water pipe burst and flooded his home for a month, and happy to have insurance!
- Jan Brown and family celebrated her mother-in-law’s 103rd birthday this week!
- Orange Ball Scribe