NEXT MEETING: August 5, 2016
The Vision for the Future of Contra Costa College
Contra Costa College’s new President, Mojdeh Mehdizadeh, will speak to the Richmond Rotary Club about the College’s mission, vision, accomplishments and plans for the future. She will share highlights from the past year and will discuss the College’s strategic direction.
Since 1998, Mojdeh has served in a district-wide capacity, providing leadership to all colleges within the District. Her responsibilities cover a wide gamut: she supports colleges’ educational programs, student services, workforce and economic development, information technology, research and planning, and grants.
- On August 27th come celebrate Rotary District 5160” 100th Anniversary at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Tickets are $45 and can be purchased at www.SixFlags.com/DiscoveryKingdom. Use the promo code: ROTARY
- The Rotary Foundation Day at the Races-Golden Gate Fields is scheduled for November 19th. This event will be sold out. We only have 14 slots allocated to our Club! Buy tickets, $40, from the man, David Brown.
- Soulful Softball Sunday on August 21 at Nicol Park 3230 Macdonald Ave at 2pm. Free! Richmond Rotary was asked to provide free backpacks. Pam Jones collected $260 and if anyone else wants to donate please contact Pam.
MEETING OF July 29, 2016
On a beautiful day in Richmond, Past Past Prez Alan Baer called the meeting to order and Tom Butt led us in the Pledge. George Egan offered a silence prayer for peace and freedom. Sid Chauvin offered, “My people skills are just fine. It’s my tolerance of idiots that needs work!”
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
We had a number of visitors, guests of Dan Tanita, from Russia with us today: Nadia Borovikova, Katya Paderova, Alexander Voronikhik, Iskander Zaynullin, Lena Novomeyskaya, Ilya Zlotnkov, Alyova Platitsyna, Aliya Zhizitayeva, and Wally Stokes. We also enjoyed welcoming our friend Mac Lingo from Berkeley.
Recognitions and Happy and Sad Dollars
Your Scribe did the honors:
- Josh Genser and Elaina celebrated 35 years of wedded bliss on July 5 and will celebrate a birthday on August 3rd.
- Alan Baer was happy about last weekend celebrating his anniversary and Rotary night at the A’s.
- David Brown was happy that Shana Bagley Howe (with some help from hubby Mark and crew) made it from San Francisco to Hawaii in 8 days and 3 hours (kicking major butt in nautical terms). Adrenalin took 3rd in its Division and 16th overall! Okole Maluna!
- Josh Genser was happy that he will be taking 6 youth from Richmond PAL to his cabin next weekend for some outdoor fun. Thanks to Richmond Rotary for purchasing the fishing poles.
- Sid Chauvin was happy that although he thought his son-in-law was losing his job that he did get hired back…and his daughter got a raise. How sweet it is.
Welcoming Dentists from our Russian Exchange Program
Since our scheduled speaker did not show up, Dan Tanita gave an overview of Richmond Rotary’s Russian Dentist Exchange Program. Started 16 years ago by Dan and members of El Sobrante and San Pablo Rotary Clubs with help from Center for Citizen’s Initiative in San Francisco, the program offers Russian dentists an opportunity to learn about dental practices here in America. Because of the visits that were made so long ago, many Russian Rotary Clubs have been started because of the great experience they have had through our Rotary Club. Something we, thanks to Dan, can be very proud of.
Dan and his daughter also were able to visit with our friends in Russia earlier in the year. Lena Novomeyskaya brought a number of gifts including a flag from her Rotary Club, a special award for Dan, and gifts from Past Prez Alan Blavins. All the participating dentists got certificates for completing the program.
Nadia Borovikova gave an overview of what she experienced including appreciation for the professional practice of American dentist and their great hospitality.
- The Menehune, Rotating Editor