NEXT MEETING: October 4, 2013
How will the Affordable Care Act affect you?
The Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare, has already begun affecting Americans in numerous ways. Our own Rotary member, George Egan, will talk about the personal financial implications of the ACA.
- Felix is busy getting ready and looking for volunteers for the Tree Planting Day on October 19th. Correction from last week Alan Blavins is setting up the Rotary tent not Alan Baer.
- We need a total of ten Club members to volunteer on a shift basis at a hot-dog stand on Sunday, October 20, at Golden Gate Fields (“Dollar Day at the Races”). This will enable the Club to receive a $1,000 donation from Golden Gate Fields. See Liliane or Lynn Martin. Shifts are 10-2 and 12-4pm .
- Foundation Day at the Races will be held on November 16. It is a BARSHEEP event and all the monies raised will be a BARSHEEP gift to the Rotary Foundation
- The District Conference is in Chico on Oct 18, 19 and 20
- There will be a Council of Core Members on November 1st
- The Annual Rotary Auction will be held in the afternoon on December 6 and our Christmas Dinner will be held in the evening of December 6. Bring a cot and stay after the Auction
- Richmond Rotarians will purchase bikes once again at a cost of $45 a piece and several Rotarians raised their hands to purchase to kick off the donating early.
- There will be a Fishing Derby in the spring time and it will be a joint venture between Richmond Rotary and the Kiwanis Club.
MEETING OF September 27, 2013
President Liliane presided over the podium, Red Badge Member Gonzalo led the pledge and Herb led the invocation.
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
Blushing Bride Michele (Itagaki) Smedley introduced her husband Hank Smedley. Josh Surowitz brought Ethen Heinrich, David Brown brought Yvonne Mair-Gill. President Liliane was accompanied by her husband Ken.
Recognitions and Happy/Sad Dollars
- Joe Bagley talked to David Calfee; who celebrated his 92 birthday. David said hello to everyone at the Club
- Michele Itagaki is happy to be back at the club
- Erle Brown is happy Joe Bags and Michele Smedley are back and he noticed that her husband seemed worked up that she was kissing all the Rotarians at the bar but Erle heard her tell Hank these guys are harmless.
- Herb was happy that he showed up at La Strada today and did not go to the Richmond Country Club like Jon Lawlis.
- David is happy that Yvonne is here and that Larry Ellison kept the America’s Cup in America.
- Liliane is happy that Richmond Rotarians are involved in so many different projects.
A vacationer from New York found his way into a bar in Billings, Montana, and began some serious drinking. After he was well past the legal limit, he stood up and shouted, “Every last Democrat is a horse’s ass!” The crowd jumped on him and beat him up.
After a week he returned to the same bar, had some drinks, and stood up and shouted, “Every last Republican is a horse’s ass!” The crowd descended upon him and beat him into silly putty again. He asks the bartender, “Who are these people anyway?”
“You don’t understand,” the attendant replied. “This is horse country.”
Bay Delta Conservation Plan and the Proposed Twin Tunnels
The guest speaker is Tim Stroshane who has served on the California Water Impact Network as a senior research associate since 2008. Tim led an informative talk on the history of the Delta projects and focused on the latest Project idea of the Twin Tunnels. The Twin Tunnels Project would involve, 3 intakes, 30 miles of tunnels underneath the Delta Mud and would deliver water to the south delta to the export pumps of the State Water Project. The costs for the project are in the billions and part of the costs will come from water rate increases and tax payers. Tim provided an excellent outline of his program, which you can download here.
Tim also offered numerous links for more information about the project:
• Tim Stroshane – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bay Delta Conservation Plan –www.baydeltaconservationplan.com
• California Water Impact Network –www.C-WIN.org
• Restore the Delta – www.restorethedelta.org
• Environmental Water Caucus—Responsible Exports Plan: www.ewccalifornia.org/home/index.php
• Dr. Jeffrey Michael’s blog, Valley Economy –valleyecon.blogspot.com/
Henry Moe, Rotating Editor