NEXT MEETING: February 28, 2020
What NIAD Means
We all recognize this pillar of Richmond’s art community as NIAD, but the acronym is worthy of close attention: Nurturing Independence through Artistic Development. What does that mean?
NIAD promotes creative expression, independence, dignity, and community integration for people with developmental disabilities. The organization offers a studio program for 70 adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, a community program engaging artists and others in offsite projects, and an on-site gallery to market and sell artwork from NIAD’s community of artists.
Our vision is a unified community where everyone is included, and art makes the individual and their story visible. We provide vital supports and resources artists need to thrive in the Bay Area and beyond
- Stacey Street announced that our April 4 Centennial Event is on a roll! She asks for volunteer help. Watch your email this week.
- We remind you once again of the Rotary’s Four-Way Test student essay contest for Richmond-area high school students. If you have children or relatives who may be interested in participating, pass along to them this flyer for details. The three essay finalists will be invited to present their essay and receive their reward as our club program on Friday, March 27. This program will coincide with a visit from student ambassadors from Richmond’s Sister City of Shimada, Japan.
- If you haven’t done so already, please mark this important event on your calendar now: April 4th, the date of our our club’s Centennial Celebration. Visit the Centennial Celebration page to see what we have planned. You can also purchase tickets on that page. We’ve invited scores of longtime supporters of Richmond Rotary so expect to see some old friends and make some new ones.
- In the last month we’ve been proud to induct four new members to Richmond Rotary: Tom Herriman, Melinda McCrary, Al Silva, and Alexandra Wilson. Welcome to you all!
- This Friday, El Cerrito Rotary hosts a TGIFF gathering at Lara’s Fine Dining, 1900 Espanade Drive, Richmond. (This is the site of the former Saluté Restaurant.) No-host bar, appetizers provided by El Cerrito Rotary. If you’d like to stay for dinner, call Lara’s at 510 234-1860 for a reservation.