NEXT MEETING: June 15, 2018
Rotarians and non-Rotarians alike share a sense that the polarization that is prevalent in the United States at this time is eroding our democracy. We seem to have lost the skills to share opposing viewpoints and discuss potential solutions to our common problems. There is a strong need in many Americans simply to be heard without judgement.
Our speaker for this program, Brooke Deterline, is the CEO of Courageous Leadership. Brooke is a TEDx speaker and a HuffPo Blogger on Courageous Leadership.
- Treasurer David Brown announced that it is time to pay our dues for next year. They are due Saturday, June 30th. He is collecting cards from attendees to charge $200 to dues and $100 to Paul Harris Foundation.
- Connie announced that we are dark July 6 to celebrate the July 4th Holiday.
MEETING OF June 6, 2018
President Connie Tritt welcomed everyone and noted that it was a small turnout today.
President Connie presented Norm Lundberg with his “Major Donor” award.
Recognitions and Happy and Sad Dollars
- Herb Cole was recognized for his 54th Wedding anniversary. He made a donation to the Paul Harris Foundation.
- Herb also gave some details about his recent “homestead vacation” to Pennsylvania where he visited the home of his great, great, great grandmother!
- Josh Genser is just back from a fly-fishing outing. He reports that no fish were killed but hundreds were tortured during the adventure.
Speaker Wayne Koide introduced the group to STEMsail – a group that seeks to reinforce concepts related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math through sailing. Topics such as Bouyancy, Wind, Machines and Weather are taught during sailing trips and field trips. Their methodology is to experience the concept, sail the boat and train on the concepts.
Wayne also showed a short video of kids sailing and learning.
In wrapping-up, Wayne asked the audience for help with his primary challenge – lack of diversity of his students. Members referred him to The Escape Club, RPAL and METAS from Contra Costa College.
- Connie Tritt, Rotating Reporter