NEXT MEETING: September 13, 2019
Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano County
September is Hunger Action month. Kim Castaneda will speak about hunger in our community, identifying the faces of hunger and how the Food Bank works to end hunger locally. Learn more about the organization’s work here.
- Pam Jones notified us that family members of Mack Robinson (our immediate Past Assistant District Governor) are safe but have suffered devastating loss in the Bahamas due to Hurricane Dorian. Mack has identified the Rotarians in the heart of the area who will direct funds to provide relief to those in greatest need. Donations made payable to “The Upper Keys Rotary Foundation” will be directed to those efforts.
- Erle Brown announced that he is still soliciting funds for the Peres Teachers fund. This year Peres has 31 teachers. We give each teacher $100 for supplies in September at the beginning of the school year. Thank you to all who have already provided Peres teachers with this support.
- Don Lau reported that Club 100 (to mark our one hundred year milestone) will rely on 100% participation of our Club members. Please be generous. Thank you Rotarians who have already given Don their pledges! You are awesome! Please contact Don (email@example.com) if you would like more information or are ready to pledge.
- Mark Howe announced that he is seeking a “First Mate” for his October 12th cruise during Fleet Week. The commitment is expected to take about 4 hours.
President Jan welcomed everyone to the friendly Richmond Rotary. Mark Howe led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Cole led the invocation.
Visiting Rotarians and Guests
There were eight guests. Four included 3 students and a teacher from the Richmond College Preparatory School brought by Eleanor Vogelsang of “Close Up Foundation” (a local non-profit). Each of the eighth-graders gave a briefing of the highlights of their Washington DC trip (that our club partially funded). Places they visited included the African American Museum, Gettysburg, and the Air and Space Museum.
Other guests were Brian Fay (guest of Henry Moe) and Dr. Carey Ash – both expecting to be inducted next week. Diane Hedler, President of the Board of Directors of the Rosie the Riveter Trust, was also present at the meeting.
Recognitions and Happy and Sad Dollars
- Ric Ambrose recognized Mark Howe for his wedding anniversary with Shana Bagley-Howe on August 22nd.
- Alan Blavins also celebrated his anniversary of 29 years married to Geri. Alan reported having a great time taking the ferry over to San Francisco, having dinner and returning on the ferry to Richmond.
- Ric was happy to report that a new exhibit was opening this weekend—39 vintage motorcycles that track the history of the machine’s evolution from the bicycle to the Harley. Zoom on over.
- Josh Surowitz was happy to be back from travelling out of the country.
The work of the International Rescue Committee
Our speaker, Sarah Cramer, represented the International Rescue Committee and shared its long history of responding to some of the world’s worst crises, delivering aid that saves lives while paving the way for long-term recovery
Connie Tritt, volunteer scribe